RSS

Monday, February 1, 2010

Hopefully the internet will last long enough to write this post

Thanks for hanging in there, I know it's been awhile! My internet has gone from mediocre to HORRENDOUS. Honestly, you'd think I'm in Kenya over here with the inability to even send an email between the hours of 6pm & 2am...which typically tend to be the only hours I'm home...how convenient. (Arcadia--you REALLY need to get your insert select language here together.) Now starts today's installment of: What IS Carly doing over there?

To answer this cliff hanger:
-Spending money. You know it's unbelievable how ridiculous the pound actually is. Then on top of that, living in London is comparable to New York City. Plus then there's that whole currency charges. Its typical to eat lunch for around L10, which then converts to 16 dollars! However, groceries seem to be cheaper, even whole foods, and, as I discovered today, Urban Outfitters.
-My Favorite Place in London thus far: Portobello Road. This market of a street is probably one of the coolest places I've ever been, and yes, I plan to go back soon. With street vendors selling everything from fruits & veggies to jewelry, scarfs and clothing to old cameras and leather messenger bags. I'm fairly certain that you could go every week and find something you've never even seen before...something I'm planning on doing. PLUS the food! Carts selling anything from seasoned olives and cheeses to sandwiches to CREPES AS GOOD AS THE ONE IN PARIS (the best one from Paris even!!) to Humingbird Bakery Red Velvet, which Avery & I finished before we even reached the cashier...hey! it was a long line!
-Kensington Palace & Kensington Gardens, which is maybe a 5 minute walk from my door step. Maybe it was because we went on a sunny day, which are so rare here, although it has been sunny the last few (but my widgets predicting rain for the next 2), but people were out in the park and it almost resembled spring, minus the fridgid weather, by London standards, of course. (I have noticed its actually colder here when its sunny out) Anyway, I really enjoyed the Palace, which houses Diana's dresses. Whether it was my love for The Queen, the movie, or just simply remembering this history as something that actually took place as part of my lifetime, I really enjoyed the visit.
-A trip to the Museum of London with class, which was actually the first boring museum I went to. Although staring at a certain someone wasn't so bad.
-Yo Sushi, which can only be described as living up to everything I hoped for. The sheer genius of the conveyor belt. However, I will admit it was a challenge figuring out what was what. But with everything they had to offer, I can EASILY overlook that
-Champion, our local pub, and I call it "our"pub lovingly. For L10 each, 4 of us, Avery, Becky, Hannah & I got 4 entrees, 2 appetizers & 4 ciders. Who could beat that?? Anddd it was even delicious!

Things to come:
-Trips have been booked: Dublin, Rome & Amsterdam
-Hopefully a trip to some combination of Scotland, Florence & Greece will be booked
-A trip to Oxford on Saturday, where I intend to visit the bookstore
-Brick Lane for Indian Food? Harrods for the food hall? Burberry Outlet? Who said that? Buckingham Palace? Or I guess, work, in approximately 9 hours...yuck. Guess you'll all just have to keep reading ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment