RSS

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Suggestions, anyone?

As I sit, midst my last "real" week of my London program, I'm becoming both sad that my time here is ending while simultaneously very excited to be returning home in a few short weeks. And as a side note: After nearly 4 months, I still struggle with a UK keyboard, it took me a few seconds to actually find the " button.

Mostly, however, I'm growing more excited for the weeks between then and now. If only I could fast forward about a week when all responsibility will subside, summer begin and my mom will finally be in London, soon after followed by Dave and dad. So to keep myself and you occupied and cause I really have nothing new or exciting to report, I'm going to share my planning, brainstorming, researching, etc what to do while my mom and family are here and in Prague, Barcelona, Athens and Santorini. I included many of the things other people have told me they'd like to do and a few things I have yet to do. And of course, I'm open to any and all of your thoughts, questions, suggestions...and maybe your concerns.

BARB Comes to London - April 21-23
Shopping, if you're surprised, I really have absolutely no idea why. Stops at Liberty, Cath Kidston, Burberry Outlet and I'm sure we'll find more.
Wicked? Stratford-upon-Avon? Bath/Stonehenge? Art Museums (she is an art history major after all)? This planning is clearly in its preliminary stages.

Dad & Dave Come to London - April 24
Portobello Road, featuring Hummingbird Bakery? and of course a stop at the Travel Bookstore for Eric, Kensington Palace/Gardens, maybe a final meal at Champion, Harrods, and yes you must all try a sundae...I'll double up on Digestive Advantage, Indian Food for dinner?
London Bus Tour - I might suggest the Red Tour with stops at Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Parliament, St. Margarets, St. Paul's, Tower of London and more. Probably some sushi for Lunch, cause I know Dave wants that and Reservations at Rules already made.
Trip to Tower of London, High Tea with mom at Fortnum & Mason, We Will Rock You at Night
Covent Garden for some Ben's Cookies

The Holsteins go to Prague - April 27
Old Town Square with the Astronomical Clock & Prague Castle, Municipal House, Gehry's Dancing Buildings, Lenon Wall, Love Lock Bridge
The Jewish Quarter
Terezin
Sampling of Budweiser, a local beer there too, or Gambrinus, and Becharovka, a Czech liquor I'm very interested in trying, and somehow managing to get by with Prague notorious for less-than-great food. I'm SURE we'll find a way. After all, I know Barb already made some reservations...can always count on her for those!

Barcelona - April 30
In addition to the partying, the beach, Sangria, tapas and Paella, I know virtually nothing about Barcelona. Chalk it up to 6 years of studying French, I've never really had an interest in Spain. However, I suppose there's no better time to start learning than now.
Obviously the beach, Sangria and the foods listed above will probably be must-dos but I figured I'd see what else is there. And any of you, LAUREN, who want to tell me what exactly I should and should not bother with, PLEASE SHARE.
Gaudi Architecture: Cathedral, Casa Mila & Park, Picasso Museum, Las Ramblas,
Oh, and churros...I didn't mention churros. I can't believe I forgot to mention churros. mmmmm, I'm hungry and it's only 11.

Athens - May 3
The Parthenon, The Acropolis, National Archaeology Museum, Temple of Zeus, Plaka, Markets...and did I say eat? a lot? Greek food might possibly be my favorite: the salads: Fattoush or the standard Greek Salad, the soups: Chicken Lemon Soup, I wont even attempt the Greek word for it...Avego...I have no idea, the meals, spanikopita, the desserts: baklava...I'll stop now to prevent the sheer boredom later.

Santorini - May 6
Is there anything to do here other than relax and enjoy the beach?
I spent last weekend watching Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, both 1 and 2. I like to watch movies, which feature the places I'll soon be going. You can imagine the mass amount of options I had in January. But I didn't realize Santorini was the Island where Lena goes to when she meets Costas. So since there's probably not much else to do, maybe I'll try and find my own Costas. Oh and eat. Definitely more Greek food there.

more later.
comment your suggestions, please!
xo

1 comment:

dani said...

1) much thanks to dad for being my personal orthopedic surgeon who i fly home for, and hooking me up w the waterproof cast. what would i do without him

2) i feel you on the uk keyboard - thats why i was SO pissed when apple fixed my comp and left me w a british keyboard i was like no no fix this now

3) a good friend and fellow foodie is studying in prague, email him achinsky@gmail.com or read his blog from when his parents were in town andrewchinsky.blogspot.com for great food ideas there

4) i homemade a crapton of avegolemono soup last weekend! i have so much. im no greek tho and soooo jealous of fattoush and the soup in greece...now i want to drive up to salem while im home for fattoush....

5) miss you! can u plan to come to dc for my bday weekend?? weve never actually gone out since uve been 21!!!

xx D

Post a Comment